Gripe: Egg Prices

I’m getting a dozen eggs for between $2.00 and $2.75 most weeks. I used to get them for under $2 always and I still do sometimes, but not every week. I haven’t seen .99 a dozen since the early 2000s tho.

4 Likes

Here in Oklahoma, eggs have been 99 cents at Aldi for over a decade. Then 6 months ago doubled and now recently tripled :slight_smile: I hope they don’t quadruple in a couple months lol.

1 Like

I’ve also noticed a big increase in egg prices at our local Aldi, and then for the past week or two they’ve just been completely out of stock with a vague sign about “unforeseen circumstances.” My partner just happened to mention this in passing to a work friend, and a few days later this friend said “I got you some eggs” and handed him a bag full of them. So um, we have a lot of eggs now :joy:

16 Likes

that’s definitely how many we normally buy at once :joy:

4 Likes

:joy: we usually have two dozen at most so this feels like an egg windfall

5 Likes

We go through a lot of eggs. We buy them 5 dozen at a time at costco and it usually lasts us 2-3 weeks. Last weekend we paid $9.79 for 5 dozen. I just looked through my tracking and pulled out a few other purchases. In Sept 2020 they were $8.39, in Jan 2021 they were $9.17. So there has been a bit of a gradual increase in prices but not drastic.

4 Likes

the pandemic has totally reset my expectation of what a normal amount of eggs is. I used to buy a dozen at a time, and get another carton at 2 or 3 left.

Now we buy 18ths, keep 2 cartons in the fridge, and buy at 14 or 15 left. Before I would have said 5 dz was ‘wow’ and now I’m ‘it would be difficult to transport since we don’t have a car, but yes

6 Likes

I just noticed that while egg prices haven’t gone up too drastically here, we did go from x-large to large and grade AA to A.

2 Likes

I feel like in regards to groceries kept on hand, the pandemic just brought people closer to what I’ve always been like. It’s reassuring in a way. :joy: more company over here now.

7 Likes

I’m in the Canadian Maritimes. Where we live people are allowed to keep backyard flocks. We have a neighbour who does just that and we buy eggs from him, 2 dozen at a time. He used to charge $3 CAD for a dozen jumbo size eggs. But his feed went up by $6 a bag just a couple of weekends ago, so he raised the price to $4/doz. We don’t mind. Big box stores are selling large eggs (about half the weight of his) with thin shells and watery innards for $6-8/doz. We decided we’d keep buying from the neighbour.

10 Likes

Haha same! 4-5 dozen in one go and they last about 2 weeks.

1 Like