Funny Thing You Saw Today

17 Likes

17 Likes
4 Likes

17 Likes

10 Likes

12 Likes

16 Likes

Probably because of “vert” (“green” in French") and “verdant”?

Haha, this meme reminded me of how, in high school, when I was both an oil painter and a little bit goth for a while, I wanted to name my future children Viridian and Alizarin.

13 Likes

Those are kind of amazing names, not going to lie. Interesting, but with potential “boring” nicknames if the kid is embarrassed. Pronounceable, but not going to be the same as anyone in their class. Gender neutral and just all round badass. I kind of want to change my name to one of them now.

14 Likes

I mean these are indeed excellent choices. I approve.

5 Likes

I honestly thought vermillion was a yellow green. Hmph.

6 Likes

19 Likes

This is what I’ve always assumed too, because vermillion does sound like a mossy sort of word to me.

Viridian is a spring green, and I often get them confused. The internet says it’s more blue than I thought, though, for a “bright spring green”.

9 Likes

I knew nothing about Puffins previously and now I’m obsessed, omg.

7 Likes

And here I was thinking viridian was red! Probably due to confusion with vermillion. And virility, which is a red sort of word and now none of these seem like words anymore.

7 Likes

Here are the versions I’m familiar with from my oil painting days:

9 Likes

I love alizarin crimson, although it’s a bit of a wonky bastard to apply.

3 Likes

Maybe you’re thinking of chartreuse. Which, as someone commented on that thread, should be switched with vermillion :joy:

5 Likes

Yeah I always think chartreuse should be a red.

4 Likes

This is why for me:

8 Likes