Flowers! 🌺 🌷 🌸 🌹

Beautiful tree in our backyard!

7 Likes

I love looking at flowers in my neighborhood! I don’t know much about them, maybe one of you can tell me what this lovely tree is? I spotted it today!

2 Likes

Here is our dogwood tree that is finally starting to bloom!

4 Likes

Paperbark Tree flowering in a local park.

3 Likes

That looks like it might be a grafted Japanese Snowbell? (Styrax Japonica). They’ve very sweet smelling when they bloom, and the petals fall individually to make this really lovely carpet. Our neighbor used to have one that leaned over our fence, I adored it.

1 Like

Not from our property but the national forest:
Trillium flexipes

Trillium decumbems

2 Likes

How I love trillium!

1 Like

Ooo, thank you! Yes, it’s so unusual looking and every season it does blanket the yard with petals.

1 Like

Atlanta:

3 Likes

6 Likes

This one is at our place, but I don’t know what it is.

2 Likes

Oxalis?

Huh, yep, seems likely. Could be a species I don’t know, maybe O violacea. We have a couple of the yellow-flowered varieties very common around here, but I haven’t seen this before. I’ll taste a leaf tomorrow and report back with a definitive answer. :slight_smile:

Update: remembered to taste a leaf. Yep, definitely oxalis species.

2 Likes

Apparently O violacea is threatened or endangered in five states! (!!!) So you have a pretty cool plant there.

(We have TONS of oxalis here, though most of it is O. pes-caprae)

1 Like

I saw that when I looked it up (the USDA plants database is my friend)

2 Likes

Portland Rose garden

7 Likes

I want to snuggle it so hard.

3 Likes

Exciting update: found two Trillium decumbens in bloom up by our barn. I’ve been looking for them for years; I knew they should be on this property, but I’ve never seen them here before.

Picture at this post above:

4 Likes

It is too early yet for flowers here at 7k feet, so here are some high alpine beauties from last summer, on the solstice at sunset. Whenever I get tired of Winter (that happened a lot this year) I just look through photos of wildflowers in the alpine and remember that snow=amazing flowers.

and some more beauties, with a furry marmot friend.

6 Likes