FIRE Philosophy, Purpose, and Perfection

Wow. You are all amazing. I showed my wife this thread and she started crying from all the kindness shown. This is such a great community!

7 Likes

this is one of my biggest concerns, that the shadowy one will resent my choice to retire later on if things donā€™t go our way and we need to stay at not as convenient hotels when we travel. otoh, each additional dollar represents a smaller marginal improvement on the odds of success or the potential things weā€™d be spending money on. Changing from an annual spend of $30k to $35k is going to be meaningful, but 75k to 80k I suspect not as much. At a certain point I had to decide it was better to rely on our resilience to adjust to less positive potential futures and turn off the money spout.

5 Likes

Oh, I hedged my stash estimate in so many ways:

• did not include pension
  • did not include future social security
  • did not include value of our house
  • did not include life insurance value
  • did not include Spouseā€™s income (or debt) (we have separate finances)

I had reasons for each (mostly not easily define resent value / not expected to use for at least 5 years). But using only my own liquid assets was a pretty conservative estimate.

I left work due to burnout, like @Rosie, and because I could. It can really feel like failure though, like you are ā€œquittingā€. But eventually you can proudly say ā€œdamn right I am!ā€. In one meeting before I left I told folks ā€œ Iā€™ve had enough, and I have enoughā€.

Fortunately the market had gone through a few of the more exciting parts of the roller coaster, so dips were not as scary as they might have been. From a practical perspective, I had a lot on cash on hand when I quit, so no need to sell investments during a scary dip.

5 Likes

So many good thoughts here, which I wonā€™t rehash.

Iā€™m 40, FI, not retired. Retirement was never my goal, but flexibility to walk away was. Currently on parental leave, lots of changes afoot at work, and have 2 little kids. Itā€™s very possible Iā€™m staring into the face of a work break / change soon.

Two things:

• Iā€™ve found it liberating to call a potential retirement a ā€œsabbaticalā€ instead, like a 2 year period of experimentation. Lots of my friends have pointed out that I donā€™t sit still very well anyway.
  • What ways of contributing to the world or your community can you weave into your current life? Creating more mentoring office hours? Some hands-on volunteering thatā€™s completely unrelated to your professional skills? Iā€™ve found both to add contentment and meaning for me. While retirement might give me more time for these things, Iā€™m glad I havenā€™t waited to be retired to do these!
8 Likes

I shared my specific story in order to convey a few more generally applicable messages:

1. The guilt you feel while contemplating quitting is normal and common among the FIRE crowd.

2. You donā€™t have to figure out exactly whatā€™s next before you quit. You have more time and energy to figure it out when you donā€™t have a job. And you can make figuring out your passion/finding meaning your top priority project.

3. You donā€™t have to pick one thing to work on! I shared a list of some of the ways I spend my time not because I think you need my ideas, but to demonstrate that there are a wide, wide variety of options and you can pick one or many that suit your interests.

Now for a new thought that isnā€™t a more high level summary of the intent behind my first message. It sounds like providing for your family is a big motivator for you. Are there ways that having more time and energy would allow you to enhance their lives? More you could do for them with your time and/or presence? There are many ways you can meet your familyā€™s needs and they donā€™t all involve money.

11 Likes