Examples of the "Hedonic Treadmill" in your life?

Boutiques tend to be incredibly expensive with not as much variety as a department store. I like going for fit and style ideas and then shopping online.

2 Likes

Oh this is a thing. It is so nice to have a bra that actually fits instead of trying to shove my chest into a department store bra that’s inevitably swimming around my ribs and smooshing my boobs into weird shapes.

3 Likes

I actually went the opposite direction and found one bra at Nordstrom Rack (lots of larger sizes, very cheap compared to other options for those sizes) and now I just buy the same bra over and over again from amazon for ~$25 instead of trying to go to real stores and spending $60 at minimum. I dread the day when this style goes out of stock.

6 Likes

About 15 years ago, I found an awesome bra at the Calvin Klein outlet that was across from a hotel where I’d stay for work trips. Every time I went, I’d clean out that model in my size with a 25% off everything in the store coupon.

Now the bras are starting to wear out and I’m dreading having to find something new, since that model stopped being made years ago. Why aren’t more bras front-closing? It makes life a heck of a lot easier!

3 Likes

I loooove front closing bras.

1 Like

I like my chain boutique bras, but they wear out fast. Regular price is $45 each, did that once. Now I check their website and their outlets for colours on clearance. I top it off by using a site called work perks that give employee discounts (as a perk from my work) to get an extra 10-20% off. Last year I got 2 new ones for $23 this way. Sorry for the hijack!

3 Likes

I think my only hedonic treadmill adaptation would be that now, when I buy coffee, it has to be that fancy mocha or latte with non dairy milk.

Also, probably Uber. Especially on weeknights, even if there are lots of public transportation available, I will still take an Uber because the later it is, the sooner I want to arrive home. Before, I would be fine using public transportation and call taxis only if I missed the last bus or the metro is closed.

6 Likes

This thread and the old one about creating an emergency fund popped up together this morning, which made me think about my first form of an emergency fund.

I realized that I had spent less than usual on groceries that week, so I decided to buy a container of shampoo on sale so that I would be prepared when the next one ran out, and I wouldn’t be forced to replace at full price. I then decided to work towards having a spare of all my ‘long shelf life’ consumables.

Now instead of looking at the container of shampoo and feeling pretty happy about having a spare, I get stressed if I don’t. We just opened the last peanut butter. We don’t eat peanut butter that often any more, but still, knowing that we don’t have another jar is irking me.

10 Likes

My biggest example is housing. I lived in some places that I really hated (literally right next to the train tracks and freight trains going by would shake the whole building, neighbors who played music for hours every day with the bass cranked way up, etc.) so that I could afford to save for a house. I went from mostly having apartments with views of parking lots to a single family home with trees, and I have no intention of ever going back no matter how much money it would save.

7 Likes

I think we are in the middle of this right now. Our neighbor just finished a year long renovation that was always “just about to be done” that included pounding on our shared walls for 13+ hours a day, plus the fact that every 3 months or so we get a rash of people who don’t clean up after their pets in common areas, plus small annoyances about our unit itself, we are more than ready to hedonically adapt to a home that we can control more parts of.

6 Likes

Finally thought of one! Apple TV (the box thing not the streaming) we’ve had one since 2012ish and still have it. Then we got a second tv but it had built in apps. Then last year we got a new Apple TV for the second tv and now the old one feels so clunky and makes me want a new one for that room. Even though it works just fine and I will not be getting a new one. The new remote and connectivity features are just sooooo much better.

5 Likes

Does owning a personal airplane thats fast enough to beat the airlines door to door (at least as far as Denver) count?..:slight_smile:

I sold it now though… See I downshifted!

6 Likes