Decluttering discussion thread: share your wins, ask for advice, inspire each other!

I very much considered lying about which dresses suit plainjane best for my own self interest but I am a good friend and also don’t do sleeveless.

5 Likes

you know it is possible to put on sleeved things underneath sleeveless dresses? (in fact, I own a top that is just a bralette with sleeves - reversible so one side is sleeves and the other is a scoop - to go under my sleeveless dresses)

I spent this morning looking at my collection of fun shoes to decide which should move along, and having trouble. Then trying to decide how I would move them along, because I don’t feel like faffing about with mailing stuff. Which is why it was great to discover that someone is organizing a Toronto store swap and resell event in mid Oct. So hopefully I can rehome things then. If I can just decide which ones.

7 Likes

3 shirts went out Weds. I have more clothes to cull no doubt.

One thing on today’s agenda, which seems to be “dirty jobs” day, is getting into the attic. There is a mishmash of empty boxes that need to be tidied or tossed because we no longer have the item(s).

The bookstore guy wants the remaining “bookcase boxes” and they’re along one wall and at the back. To remove them, I have to tidy the middle or climb over boxes o’ “stuff” … I’ll give the climbing a hard pass.

It’s dump day tomorrow. So. whatever garbage I generate should get hauled away. It’s actually :fallen_leaf: fall here now, gray, gloomy, and damp. Whatever outside chores need to happen ASAP.

I cut the stems of the beans yesterday and the day before. There are strings of beans drying in my kitchen, with more to do today. If it wasn’t raining, I’ll pull the vines completely off the trellises, but it’s spitting rain…

I have an apothecary jar which I’d cleaned out prepatory to taking it to the antique store tomorrow. I’m tempted to put the asst. dry beans that came from the yard in it, but probably won’t. The beans we can use up. The jar needs to go.

Sold a set of leather coasters yesterday. Yay!

This didn’t happen today. Credit card fraud did which required a trip to the bank for the new cards. Sigh.

2 Likes

Posted a pair of tall boots in FB marketplace. If they don’t go by next weekend then I’ll donate them.

The shadowy one has thrown away two pairs of dead sneakers.

3 dresses and 4 tops set for me to check if the local 2nd hand shop wants them (if no, will put up on fb marketplace for nominal or free)
1 small bag of random other stuff set to be dropped off for donation
1 hiking backpack to be donated. I can’t decide whether to drop it off at the thrift shop or the men’s shelter. We don’t have anything else for the men’s shelter.

ETA: shadowy one is being helpful and has taken out the backpack and the plastic bag of stuff to the thrift store

9 Likes

I donated 2 thin turtlenecks made from a synthetic material which wasn’t warm or breathable. Now I have scarcity feels and want to buy a thin merino turtleneck.

9 Likes

Because we didn’t go to the community white elephant this year, I’m feeling the same way… usually I buy winter wear: long sleeved Ts for both of us, sweaters, sometimes coats, etc. Normally it’s 2 trash bags full o’ loot, and I donate about 1/3 of it after I get it home, wash it, and try it on. Then I replace the whole mess the next year.

But this year – we didn’t go. I still have too many clothes and should donate more of them, but I’m haunting the best buy used clothes shoppes hereabouts, looking for this years’ stuff. We had found a short, wool jacket for me. I’ve been wearing it, it works well. The person that donated it did so because they’d poked holes in the bottom of one of the pockets. I may use this as the “excuse” to finally buy the darning loom I want and take it up. Darning is on the list of skills I want/need to acquire.

3 Likes

Preemptive decluttering:

The post she sent:

Being the fun killer sucks sometimes. Piles of half baked half completed shit you can never let go of sucks worse.

18 Likes

I let go of it. I’m heartless!!! (But I never get to let go. Other people in my family want to keep keep keep. At least one of the keepers of crap got deleted from my life!)

11 Likes

Yes but Latte would never let me :melting_face: she remembers everything and is CRUSHED if I say something has to go, even when it’s very good reasons.

9 Likes

You know all about living with a keeper!

4 Likes

I repacked 1 large box of papers into 4 smaller boxes, which I’m more inclined to go through. Going through papers is something I loathe, so we have lots of ignored stacks of paper…

Repacking the stuff into a smaller, less overwhelming pile is one of my psyching myself out techniques…

7 Likes

Gave a huge bag each of baby clothes and nursing/maternity clothes to family to take to Cuba. Now I just have a few items to sell, probably on poshmark, instead of a million to sort and then sell as lots for the cheaper stuff and it’s going to people who actually need it.

It’s sad there isn’t luggage space for the cloth diapers. I know they’d be well used there (I’ve given a few each trip and the covers especially make a difference.

20 Likes

I took a bin to the consignment store and then dropped the rest in the Goodwill bag. I haven’t had luck giving things away in Buy Nothing.

We need to full on Marie Kondo the books and DVDs (take them all off the shelves and handle each one) but in the meantime I grabbed a big bag of easy choices and took them to the library. We need to make more room on the shelves to get more of the cuckoo’s toys off of the floor and onto shelves.

7 Likes

The new corner cabinet it in… Some of the “I don’t have a place to put this” things have now got a home.

But the big win? We have reclaimed a corner of our kitchen storage area!

7 Likes