Dear Penny

Ohhhhh NOOOOOOO!! Maybe I should have made this thread for ALL advice columns!

3 Likes

Man, extra bummer because the author seems pretty cool:

ETA whoaaaaa this about me section is INTENSE she is spilling all the family tea!!

5 Likes

That got really personal!

2 Likes

I posted it before I finished reading it and…uhhhhh!!! Yike!

2 Likes

She says:

“My take? If you are okay with keeping this money invested in the 401k for the long term, go in and follow Buffett’s advice. If not, keep it out and find a lower-risk way to invest, such as a CD or bond.”

Can you roll a 401(k) into an investment like this with no penalty?

1 Like

Usually these about me sections on blogs are like 1/100th the length and end on some kind of random fact like “And she loves tacos!” but not this one. Not. This one.

3 Likes

I think it’s because it links to her own site? So it’s like, her really trying to sell herself as an expert rather than just a writer’s bio? She does sound pretty badass and obv I love the self-resilience message but yeah I can’t imagine sharing to that degree for my business. Maybe it’s therapeutic for some?

2 Likes

I do not think so!

1 Like

Hmmm, maybe there’s a way to do it if the rollover goes to an IRA and you have the ability to choose where it is invested?

https://www.sapling.com/5873413/can-rollover-ira-cd-penalty

IRA accounts can be invested in numerous ways, including in CDs. If you want to roll over your IRA account into a new IRA account that is invested in CDs, you may do so without penalty provided the money is redeposited into the new IRA within 60 days.

1 Like

Uh, did I come off that way or is that self deprecation? Internet tone unclear. :grimacing:

I don’t think your situation is quite the same as Those Advice Columns because you clearly treated it as a temporary income balance issue and not like, you shall never be deserving of a single cent I make in my whole life! I expect you both had thoughtful discussions about what seemed fair to you both and why.

Also like I said it’s easy for me to poo-poo the issue when I’ve never really dealt with it… when I was a not so broke grad student we cohabitated but came to an easy agreement that we would live within my means 50/50 and he would pay off student loans, and also could pay extra for anything I refused on the basis of cost/value (which maybe happened like 3 times.) By the time we bothered to get hitched we were on pretty even ground.

3 Likes

Oh, it was definitely self deprecating! Sorry that wasn’t clear :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Thought so but always remain open minded I might be the a$$. :grin:

3 Likes

As someone who is married and financially separate and has a partner who earns more than 5x my salary, and has a net worth about 20x mine - yup on the “not totally separate”. The big thing for me was that I told SSO he needed to get disability insurance on his debt (the commercial mortgage) and life insurance because I was worried about having to shoulder that if anything happened to his ability to repay it because I would not get approved for that mortgage on my income.

But health insurance and taxes is part of why we got married (as well as EU citizenship, which is a health care back up plan) so you absolutely cannot separate the two.

5 Likes

I know her in person professionally. She’s pretty great.

7 Likes

This is good to hear! The About Me section is powerful, even if it is a lot lol. You can tell she is secure in who she is and has no more fucks to give about the bridges she’s burned because people didn’t value her :fire:

5 Likes

Ok i am hooked i will read :eyes:

3 Likes

So not cool. I’ve never cried at an “about me” page. But here we are.

Just wow. Extremely deep and powerful!

3 Likes

Thank you for this! I’ve been enjoying Dear Penny while I’m home sick today. This is my favorite so far.

6 Likes

That’s so weird!

Also,

fff

8 Likes

Hahahahaha, this is hysterical. I love it. The Mom is trolling him right to his face :laughing:

5 Likes