Collective Book Log

Catching up on recording reading, I finally finished the books (or weird combination of omnibus novel/novella collections/actual novels) in the Quincy Harker series-by John Hartness–Quincy Harker Demon Hunter Omnibus One, Salvation, Cal Perkins Cadillac, Inflection Point, and Conspiracy Theory. Generally Dresden Files lite, although the books definitely got better and more complex as the series went on.

1 Like

After I finished Anne of Avonlea I started right up with Anne of the Island. I think there are 11 total books in the series and I may just work my way through all of them.

8 Likes

I’m also working my way through the series. I’m reading Anne of Ingleside right now and finding it rather stressful and unpleasant :fearful: All this work to not let the children know that a baby is coming!

4 Likes

Anne’s House of Dreams is so bittersweet. The idea of the joys AND sorrows of a happy woman resonates deeply with me.

6 Likes

That was my favorite so far.

1 Like

I love the Anne series, but haven’t re-read in years. I’m going to revisit now, and see how I feel now that I’m a lot older and a parent.

2 Likes

I’ve got them somewhere, and I’m curious about that too (minus the parent part)…all I remember is tracing WWI across Europe with a map and pins in I think the last book so I’m not sure what I got out of the rest of the series.

Updating for block of reads again…made it through about the first half of the Empire Rising series by DJ Holmes (Void War, King’s Ship, Return to Haven, Price of Liberty, Firestorm, Siege of Earth)…they started off slow, but by about the third book the characters actually had a reasonable amount of character and weren’t just randomly stumbling into things. It’s also kind of nice when books spend time on how putting together a world government might actually work vs assuming all nations would happily hand over control to a central authority and everything would run smoothly from there.

2 Likes

I finally just got my library copy of this!

Picked up At the End of the Journey (Charles Gannon, the latest in the Black Tide Rising series) on the last library run…pretty good read, although I still think two books to fill a very minor plot hole in the original books in the series was slightly overkill. They’ve got some new characters set up if they want to continue it, though.

I haven’t posted here in long enough that I’m not going to try to figure out what books I’ve read since then, but I’ll mention my latest favorite: Winterkeep by Kristin Cashore. Yes, it’s a new Graceling Realm book!!! Yes, it lives up to all my happy memories of that series! So good.

I’m currently reading Spoiler Alert, which I think a few people here have read, and I have a question. It’s very cute and I’m enjoying all the fandom stuff a lot. But

mild spoilers, I'm not even a third of the way through

April has just admitted who she is, fanfic-wise, and Marcus did not immediately reciprocate. Is this going to get dragged out? Because that’s going to drive me nuts.

5 Likes

Spoiler Alert starts out strong then isn’t as good in the middle because of a failure to communicate that could so easily be resolved if they communicated. That’s all I’m saying.

4 Likes

I just finished The Starless Sea So gooood

Working my way through *Anne of Windy Poplars * now.

4 Likes

Agree. Lots of strengths, wish the fake TV show was real, definitely drags in the middle.

1 Like

I appreciate both of your input. I read a little further and decided this is dragging on much too long already (and I want to punch Marcus) so I’m bailing. Romance novels are for fun, not infuriation!

Now I’m reading Emma instead. This will be my first time reading past the first few chapters. Is Emma gay? Emma seems pretty gay.

5 Likes

In my headcanon Emma is gay.
I hate how that one ends. There are some good places in the middle.

3 Likes

Hmmm, interesting question…

Somewhere on the interwebz I read where someone was saying that they love Sherlock Holmes/Mary Russell novels because they were clearly an older gay man and a young lesbian who accidentally fell in love, and then added, “And yes, that’s also why I love Tonks and Lupin.”

So… I could see Emma sliding into that particular category…

3 Likes

I’ve started two books that are both dragging for me. Should I keep reading?
NK Jemison’s The Stone Sky

Spoiler question

I am stuck on the big reveal that the secret power is magic?

Kaoru Takamura’s Lady Joker
Not a spoiler: I don’t know if I can keep track of all of the characters.

Ty!

2 Likes

I’m looking for recommendations of “chick lit” novels (I don’t like that term but not sure if there’s a better descriptor). I’ve read just about everything by Jennifer Weiner and Elin Hilderbrand, and looking for more novels in that vein. Preference for older (30s and up) protagonists.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I like some things by Susan Mallory, Susan Wiggs, Kristin Hannah, Robyn Carr, Jenny Colgan. Some are good, some are not of course. Lisa Kleypas is fun if you do the old regency England stuff. A little less “fluffy” might be Karen White and Beatriz Williams.

2 Likes