Children’s book reviews group journal

Other ones we’ve loved lately-
little Red Stroller
A Year around the Great Oak
The Complete Brambly Hedge
Hush, Little Bunny
Cinderella with Dogs
All the Andrea Beaty books like Rosie Revere Engineer and the questioneer chapter books too

5 Likes

Some of our current library books.

4 Likes

Ooh i didnt realise there were chapter books! Duckling is up to reading those now so I will hunt them down.

2 Likes

There’s also a whole musical with soundtrack and music videos!

1 Like

Our library has a few of these Clive books and I love them so much. Ravioli is verrrrrrry into hats, so that’s why I picked up the first one. But they’re so sweet! I love the cat that appears in them, too.

2 Likes

Our favorites are Raucous Riveters and Mysterious Mansion. I recorded them for her yoto and she listens to them a ton.

1 Like

We also really enjoy Xander’s Panda Party :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Awww we loved the Clive books too :two_hearts:

1 Like

Cinderella- with dogs! is seriously delightful

4 Likes

Elephant and Piggie. We have (I think the first) Elephant and Piggie biggie. They are just so good

3 Likes

Elephant and Piggie are delightful.

2 Likes

oh a couple others we like-

3 Likes

Looking for recommendations. Mo LOVES alpha bugs. It’s a pop-up book. Problem is she’s grabby and tends to accidentally tear the bugs out.

We’re getting copies of the book but are there any books that may have similar appeal with less destructability?

4 Likes

Tbh destruction is part of the book love learning. Maybe get some Karen Kratz lift the flap books that are easier to repair and see if they also appeal with interactiveness. But some destruction is just curiosity embodied :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I don’t know that one specificially but there’s a series called things like “Look, it’s woof woof dog” where the flaps are made out of felt so they don’t tear so much!

Agree wtih @Bracken_Joy that this is normal behavior and part of the process but I get it, it can feel stressful!

6 Likes

Yes we have some felt flap ones and Ravioli loves them! There’s this one and also a T-Rex one

4 Likes

Has anyone come across a book for toddlers that introduces the concept of boys and girls but is LGBTQ positive? I feel like this is vocabulary that the cuckoo needs but I don’t want to be, like all deterministic about it. She’s almost 2.

3 Likes

Yes! My library has some good ones but also some awful ones
(Think basic board book introducing many many pronoun options and the idea you’re hurting someone by being wrong… to kids who cannot get anyone’s pronouns consistent).

I will look for the good ones on a future trip

4 Likes

We really liked this book.

Frederico’s families include:

• Single parent families
  • Same sex parent families
  • Families with different race parents
  • Families where the kids don’t look like the parents
  • Families where the grown ups are the grandparents

Mo isn’t old enough to get it yet but I like that it shows a variety of families with a cute narrative that focuses on the cat, and the variety of families is just very natural.

13 Likes

Booo my library doesn’t have it! That almost never happens.

2 Likes