Can we have a debate about flouride?

Oh, yes.

2 Likes

So, one of my friends was living on SSDI and could not afford the $200+ for a reverse osmosis filter that she would’ve needed to get fluoride out of her water which she needed with her chronic illnesses. And she isn’t a science hater at all. That made me think “hmm maybe this does have a disproportionate impact on people with disabilities”.

Anecdotally, I grew up in a city with fluoride and have never had a cavity. Every dentist in Oregon looks at my teeth and says “you must not have grown up around here”

7 Likes

So, most of Oregon doesn’t have access to flouride? Why?

2 Likes

We like to be special.

Quite honestly the counter-culture anti-science is high here - either on the hippie or libertarian side*,and most of our population lives in the portland metro area, which has mostly been fed from a beautiful well field that is so untouched it meets requirements for not being filtered (just treated) thanks to our urban growth boundary. Outside the main population centers, oregon is sparse enough many many people have well water.

*we also have a lot of anti vaxxers.

6 Likes

Most of the tooth problems here are meth-related (there are lots of those, but teeth are not always the people’s priority in those cases).

2 Likes

Yes that is also true here, which is of course inextricably linked to class, unfortunately, just like oral health.

2 Likes

I mean, everything does.

We’ve definitely written medical need letters to have filtration covered by insurance.

ETA I think we could agree that avoiding fluoride out of medical necessity isn’t the same thing as avoiding it because one thinks it’s harmful, which is by far the more common argument.

We also all know our healthcare billing and support is poo but as someone who works with families who have a lot of atypical health needs, I still feel that the stories of people who would be adversely affected should not be the deciding factor in not fluoridating at all.

6 Likes

When I was little I had adult tooth come in without any enamel, and they told us it was because I’d had too much fluoride while it was developing. I looked it up again a few years ago and turns out it’s actually a known side effect of antibiotics, and I’d had an ear infection right before the tooth came in.

3 Likes

My experience with the anti-fluoride position is just really bad calculation of risk/reward. I literally do not understand it.

Seems like it would be a simple process of setting up a grant system to pay for appropriate filters for those below X income level.

3 Likes

I see an unintended side effect of public fluoridation would be that the folks who don’t support it (I mean, it was OVERWHELMING in my friend group in the 2014 vote to not support fluoridation…incidentally except for my friend that is an MPH and was running the pro-fluoridation campaign) would get it filtered out and then

• there would be no fluoride regime in school for kids because the water is fluoridated
  • ergo, we’d continue to have the same problems

Shakes head, just so you know…this is why our state keeps having measles come back… our vaccination opt-out rate is alarmingly high.

3 Likes

Yeah that would kind of defeat the purpose, lol. I wish we could send those people back in time. Even just 70 years back would be scary, but pre-smallpox inoculation…shudders. People have no idea how good we have it right now that covid-19 is panic worthy to most.

4 Likes

The thing I learned from reading a public health report on this:

Early Childhood Cavities are caused by a bacteria in the mouth. The bacteria are transmitted from the
primary caretaker to the child.

That means that actually, it’s not quite as genetic as we might think, but a bit more to do with childhood lifestyle, interesting.

3 Likes

I was recently learning about the Haitian Revolution, and the expedition Napoleon sent to attempt reconquering the island and reestablishing slavery saw a yellow fever season that killed IIRC 90% of the soldiers sent in just a few months.

3 Likes

Weird. Same parents, different house mostly, most food home grown in different soil by the time he cane along- wonder if that has an effect? But the fluoride difference surely does.

3 Likes

In this case, I think I’m on the yellow fever’s side.

4 Likes

Lol, yep.

2 Likes

My parents were super anti-fluoride when I was a kid. I remember them talking about it and telling us about it. Our county didn’t fluoridate the water until 2002, which was me at 7 years old and my sister at 5 (youngest sister has had fluoridated her whole life). I think even before the 2002 mark, I remember whenever we visited family in NY state they were like grumble, grumble, don’t drink the tap water. I remember a period where we drank gallons of distilled water, but that didn’t last long (because it’s ridiculously stupid lol). Eventually we were just drinking tap water again.

My parents are religious (religion in question Christianity) nutjobs, so not surprising they were against it. I also think it’s weird how religious nutjobs pick and choose issues like this because in my experience they and many of their peers are never against some of the more egregious environmental/actually poisoning our bodies issues. (Like, fracking is a huge issue in my state and I don’t know of any religious groups upset about how that ruins/contaminates water supplies through those little ponds that overflow during the process). I also always think that if I had been born after 2010, I probably wouldn’t have any vaccines (my parents weren’t that trendy in 1995, they’re more bandwagoners)

I actually took a class all about water systems in college and discussed a lot of this, but remember mostly general knowledge guidance, not the actual science. In a really awkward class, someone actually chose to do their assignment on how fluoride in water was bad and the teacher’s response was very gentle but very disapproving.

One of the only websites (anti fluoride) google pulls up on the first page says that pre 2002 something like 6% of the county residents somehow already had fluoridated water? We lived in the actual city limits so I wonder if that included our house somehow.
But, regardless of the fact that I didn’t have fluoride outside of a dentist’s office until age 7, I have really ridiculously good teeth. My sisters both do too, with them getting more fluoride. So, maybe genetics were enough to cover the fluoride gap there. I didn’t get my only cavity until I was over 18 and I’m giving myself a pass, because the dentist told me it was to fill a hole from grinding my teeth. I didn’t have any pain so I think it was a very small cavity or just preventative.

My teeth are somewhat of an outlier case. I didn’t lose my first tooth until 9, which I remember because I was jealous of the other children. I also had to get 6 baby teeth pulled out of my mouth with light oral surgery (I was put under general anesthesia, they had to stitch some things up) at age 13 because they literally just wouldn’t come out of my mouth. I don’t know if this affirms my teeth’s power and good health or if it’s actually bad somehow.

The city I live in kind of has a rumor going around that there is lead in the water. Anecdotally, I would assume this is because we have a high population of Black residents and the city is historically f***ing awful to them, and the case of Flint, MI has led to distrust all the way over here on the East Coast. The city water department swears up and down that there is no lead in the water. I (white) trust them and have always drunk water straight from the tap since I moved here in 2018. It’s really a shame if there truly isn’t an issue (seems likely) because it seems the households that can least afford the extra cost rely the most on bottled water.

Edit to add: both my parents have multi-decade running addictions (truly, addiction) to drinking diet soda every day. Somehow paying a premium to poison your body is better than getting public health measures for the low cost of a municipal water bill.
I’m not super clear on the science, but what I’ve seen makes me believe that artificial sweeteners are like ingesting garbage and I won’t touch them. so maybe that’s me being a bit of a quack. Just the kind of quack who trusts local municipalities more than Pepsi/Coca Cola

3 Likes

That was a very interesting perspective, thanks for sharing.

(Also we have lead in the water here but it is due to pipes not the water supply…it was a big scandal because 98% of Portland public schools tested positive for dangerous levels of lead in the water 3 years ago. It’s not good.)

4 Likes

Yeah Milwaukee has a big problem with lead service laterals. Our house is one of the only ones in my neighborhood that doesn’t have one.

4 Likes

Did something happen with fluoride in 2002? I know the municipal water I was on as a small child was fluoridated from the mid 60s or so

2 Likes