Budgetober Challenge! October 1 - 31 🧙🏼💸🎃

I’m issuing a challenge: Budgetober, which will run from October 1 - October 31 for the 6th year.

More to follow but you can sign up now!

The goal for budgetober is set and stick to your budget for the month of October. It’s also vaguely halloween themed. Also it has special forum badges and even a STICKER SHEET for people that complete the whole month.

Here are 2023’s stickers

Basic rules:

1. You must establish a budget, a way to track it, and target amounts for the budget.
  2. Your categories can be as broad as you like, or as specific as you want. You can even just choose a single amount for the month, You can also track + limit one category if you prefer (i.e. grocery spending, restaurants, or stationary splurges.)
  3. You’re allowed one week where you wave a magic wand and “re-cast” your budget . This means if you go off the rails in a category, or something big comes up, you can set a new budget for the month. Don’t get discouraged just because you have an off week! Jump back on the budgeting haywagon! (I told you this was Halloween-themed).
  4. Each Saturday you use this thread to report how you did on your budget for the week. You can report on where you’re at, and what your biggest challenge and victories of the week were. Then, you’ll put your predictions/goals down for the budget week ahead.

Who This Challenge is For

• Maybe you’re already great at sticking to your budget , but you want to try out adjustments to your categories or a low-spend month.
  • Maybe you don’t currently do a budget , but feel like maybe your expenses are creeping up and want to use October as a chance to do a check-in and see how you are doing.
  • Maybe you have a pandemic paycut or furlough and need to live on less money for awhile.
  • Maybe you have a new normal - new job, new family member, new location and need to figure out your new baseline.
  • Maybe you’ve been spending a bit too much on take-away orders or planners , and want to dial it back a bit. One months seems doable!
  • Maybe you’re tired of “cleaning up” categories the last week of the month - i.e. moving money from a too-full grocery budget into an overspent takeaway category. So the goal here is to change behavior or reset categories to more realistic amounts.
  • Maybe you’ve never budgeted before but it feels overwhelming to start. Perhaps one week at a time, for only a month, seems achievable! You don’t have to do it forever, just for October.

What do you get out of participating?

• Deep Satisfaction of trying to stick to a budget this October
  • Community support for whatever your budget goals are for October!
  • Budgetober success shout outs on the podcast
  • A weekly CUTE halloween-themed forum badge for participating in the weekly check-in
  • And if you do all 4 week check-ins, you get a STICKER mailed to you. It’s halloween, cat, and budget themed. I will mail these anywhere in the world.

If you’re in to participate (or on the fence and need encouragement), comment below with what you’re hoping to get out of Budgetober and your favorite thing about the halloween season.

Resource List for Budgeting

17 Likes

Oooh the first one to sign up! I LOVE Budgetober :heart:

I need to spend a little more time thinking about it before I decide which categories to look at this year. Maybe I’ll do the whole budget? My favorite part of halloween is costumes! And cooler weather!

8 Likes

I’m in!! Love Budgetober, even though I probably enter with the same goals every year and don’t meet them every single year :rofl:. But hey, this could be the one!!
Favorite things about halloween season: cooler weather and fall colors!

9 Likes

Budgetober is absolutely going to be a grocery/meal planning challenge for me as we are struggling with that and right before the election is gonna be v stressful at work for me

Favorite thing is getting to wear cute Halloween themed outfits

10 Likes

I’m in! I usually work on the grocery budget. This year I’ll be working on not overspending categories, so I can prevent having to “clean them up” every week! I think this will require more detailed accounting of what I spend. I frequently forget to write it down. But more on this later.

My favourite thing about Halloween? Cheap apples! Well, I’d say cute kids in cute costumes, but we don’t get trick or treaters anymore.

7 Likes

I’m in! will consult my existing budget & return with a goal.

6 Likes

I may or may not have goals for this Budgetober, since we’ll be adding a new squalling family member in October and I fully expect all things to be chaos and madness. I’ll have to look at our budget and think through it! (Maybe my goal is “less than $500 on random baby supplies”…)

I love everything about autumn :heart: :fallen_leaf: Leaves, crisp weather, warm drinks, sweaters, spooky things, spoopy things, pumpkin patches, hayrides, I love it all.

11 Likes

I am in. I think my goal will be around finding a reasonable budget that includes intentional splurges aligned to our values. But how exactly I do that is tbd.

6 Likes

I have no idea what my goal will be but I need the stickers so I’m in.

My favorite thing about then Halloween season is everything, but especially pumpkins. :jack_o_lantern::jack_o_lantern::jack_o_lantern::jack_o_lantern::jack_o_lantern:

7 Likes

I would love to, but cannot. The painters come starting this week. Sometime, soon, they will want more $ and I have no idea how much? It will depend on how extensive our rot is, how many supplies they need to buy etc. So, we gave them 1/2 up front of their estimate, but…

Also, forget getting DH to do a budget.

Is there a way to do a budget challenge for 1/2 a household?

4 Likes

Absolutely- some People just choose one tiny category to track. Or everything BUT the unpredictable thing, also you can pick a budget related goal (like “reconcile weekly”) even if the amount spent can’t be predicted.

Really it is choose your own adventure.

You also have over a month to decide!

8 Likes

Ooh yes, I’m in. Tracking tbd, will come back to this once I’ve had a think about what I want to track…

6 Likes

I am in!!! And excited for Budgetober this year :grinning: I will either track groceries or my Allowance (Fun money) category. I’ll decide which one near the end of September.

My favourite thing about Halloween season is the fact that it’s apple and squash season, which means lots of yummy foods like apple pies/purees, squash soups and many more…

3 Likes

Hmm. Okay. I will think on it.

Thanks!

3 Likes

I’m in it for the badge!

Not quite sure what the goal will be this year, but we do have a new normal with husband newly self-employed, so maybe figuring out what things look like there.

2 Likes

PTF, probably in but need to look at what makes sense for this year given other stuff happening.

2 Likes

Who knows what my goal will be, but I’m in!!!

2 Likes

I’m also in. I keep thinking we’re on track for a month and then we buy something important that pushes us over, and it’s getting ridiculous. Not 100% sure what I’ll track, since I can’t make my husband not buy anything, but I’ll figure it out.

1 Like

I’m in! August has been SHOCKINGLY expensive and it will be a great reset before the holidays.

3 Likes

I’m in! Goal TBD- depends on how this month goes. I need a reset, so writing down everything this month and then will pick a goal based on that. Excited to be back in the forums.

7 Likes