Budget Challenge: No-Stress November (Nov 1 - Nov 30)

Update to my update! My oven glass got delivered so I’m making pizza and spending $30 less!

4 Likes

Autopay on C will be tested next week but it should be working. I’ve also notified the other party that I’m testing out new autopay so hopefully they’ll work with me on any issues and not ding me; next month I’ll set the autopay to a bit earlier.

Savings account project - I thought I had to do it a certain way but now I think I have to approach it from the opposite direction, which will probably be best achieved by me going to a physical location to talk to someone. At this point it’s a thing that’s definitely going to happen, though, which is a change from a month ago.

Art project - I need to decide what my motivation for this is. I do want to get the actual item finished but part of me adding it to No Stress November was to try to take some time for my creative self, which I fulfilled in other ways. I did decide how I want to move forward with the next step but I’m not sure if I trust myself to the execution of it, so that’s a trip to possibly get supplies. I’m also procrastinating the next-next step which is going to be tedious - I’m doing a wood and nail map, the next-next step is doing allllll the nails. So many nails. Anyway, I’d say this is a success on the “fulfilling creative self” front and a fail on the “actually finishing the map” front. shrug

5 Likes

Final November check-in:

This week I won’t make it to 40 hours. I’m fine with the hours I didn’t work, especially since I made 40 hours worth of money and there was a holiday, but still, I’ll only make it to about 34.

I didn’t eat out much. Thanksgiving helped with that. :blush:

6 Likes

Have to catch up on the rest of the forum tomorrow, but a final report for this month:

Gifts–$417/$600–couple more things to pick up at the start of next month but so far so good
Travel–$440/$0*–actually fine, need to wait for charges to officially post before I can get them refunded with points
Food–$418/$300–way over, took a friend out for a celebration last weekend and spent more than I should have, and then there was a Thanksgiving emergency (literally, spent several hours Thurs morning helping a friend move bookshelves and rip down soaked drywall/ceiling panels in search of a nasty plumbing leak) that meant I did some extra grocery shopping as well
Home Improvement–$122/$100

Will have to figure out tomorrow if I’m in for GYSD Dec or the 2020 Bingo or whatever.

5 Likes

Looks like we’re still conversion twins. I also did not call Vanguard this month or mail them the paper forms that my current account custodian requires. Gotta get this done in 2019!

3 Likes

Update on goals:

Spend at least $50 on protein. I didn’t spend any money on protein this week either, and I only spent $26.11 on groceries this week, mostly on things like Redi-whip and heavy cream to make pie. My grand total for groceries this month was $160.33, which is higher than my historical average, but not crazy (although it is a bit high given I didn’t get to $50 in protein purchased this month). I still have protein powder and some tilapia and shrimp in the freezer, too.

Basically, I need to focus on eating fish more often. It is still a habit I am trying to solidify. There are many days when I don’t eat a “main” protein (like fish, eggs, tofu).

However, since I only spent I think $22 this month on protein, I have decided to buy the tofu mold I was looking at a few months ago. It is right around $20 (I think, I have to check) and is imported by a company local to me, so yay buying local? I’ll try to do that tomorrow.

Make an appointment for an eye exam and buy new glasses. No. I realllllly have to do this in December.

Make some decision about professional development. No. :frowning: But I am almost done with the R/RStudio course I started?

I think the takeaway is that by making it “no-stress” that takes away any and all accountability on me to actually do the thing. I am not sure this was a success…

5 Likes

Final check in:

• I think I’m getting the hang of ordering stuff online to reduce stress, and I’m excited to keep trialing the “click and collect” option most stores have to optimise our time AND reduce plastic packaging.
  • I haven’t done any work on Christmas presents this week. I’ll see how far I get by the end of this week. I think I’m about to order plants for people.
  • I bought sewing patterns and fabric at a local designer’s Black Friday sale. I have put it under “attire”. I am completely OK and excited about this, for me shopping locally like this feels like part of building my community!

Spending:

• Groceries: $952/1000 (WIN. Some grocery spending technically spent this month but will turn up on the credit card first week of December. Since it’s eaten half this week and half next week, I reckon that’s OK.)
  • Meals out: $270/250 (We bought pizza for dinner because I had a surprise lecture to attend on a Thursday evening)
  • Work lunch: $235/250 (WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS.)
  • Me spending: $78/$75 (no purchases)

Overall: Yup, tracking closer in just these categories is helping me make choices that make ME feel better. I technically track all of our money, but I am only paying attention to these ones because they seem to be the ones that indicate our “financial health”. If we’re doing fine here, our other spending follows.

4 Likes

Final check in:

1. 12,000 steps a day - getting pretty close to it on a regular basis. I have identified that to be successful with it is to break it up - walk for some time in the morning and the balance at night gets me there. Becoming more mindful of it has made me do it more - for example, last night I’m sitting in the couch and look at the Fitbit, saw I needed 3,000 more steps so I went for a 30 min walk on the treadmill (too cold to be outside for me). Prior to this my goal was 10,000, so I’m pleased with the results. Hoping in December I can keep up the momentum.

2. Weighted work outs- did 2 this week. This is going to be my biggest challenge but something I need to work on. Even though I will be on vacation and not able to do this while I’m away in December, I would like to continue to try to find the time to this - or rather, stop being so lazy to get this done!! It did lead to me reaching out to a dietician, which I have my appointment tomorrow.

3. Quest trade- I don’t know why this has been such a task - anyways, account set up, they have $1000 of mine and I need to allocate it. I need to transfer another $4000 over for my $5000 min. I will probably have a call with one of their advisors this week for help. Even though this wasn’t 100%, I did trade come stock and reallocate it, which was a big deal for me.

Overall I think I was fairly successful with my goals for the month. December has a lot going on, but I will probably still do the adulting challenge (get shit done lol), and get things figured out for the 2020 20 challenges.

Great job to everyone for their goals and tracking this month! While most are more financial than mine, it is a lot of work and y’all did great!:partying_face:

7 Likes

Final tally:

Food, yes.

Spending, 95% yes until yesterday! Went off the rails a little with kids in town and bought rugs and fancy lights to make navigating the house at night easier for Oldster dog without me having to get up, turn on bright light, then have trouble falling back asleep.

2020 will need to be a year of no Stuff. I think I’ve finally acquired all the material fancy things I’ve had on my five-year list.

5 Likes

Didn’t check in yesterday, but yes, I did both my things! Mint has been stayed on top of, and medical bills have been paid as they’ve come in. :raised_hands:

5 Likes

Final check-in (hopefully it’s not too late, I didn’t have internet over the holiday:
I don’t have much new to report from last week.

• I looked into transferring my 401ks but have decided not to roll anything over right now
  • Have not purchased any new furniture. I’d like 1-2 more floor lamps and a bookshelf, but we aren’t in a rush to get anything, and will keep an eye at thrift stores.
  • I went to an interview for the random job. Cue existential crisis about what I want to do with my life. I will probably not take the job if offered (who knows if I’ll even get an offer) but I don’t like turning things down. Even opportunity sounds new and shiny and exciting and it’s hard to say no to things when I’m not sure what other opportunities the future holds.

Week 4.

1. (Health insurance) Done week 1. Took effect today.
  2. (Rollover IRA) Didn’t do anything on this. Forms still languishing in my bag. No stress November, but this MUST be done in December.
  3. (Thanksgiving food spending tracking) Spent another $9 (total $51) on food/wine for the holiday meals. Spent another $4 (total $24) on extra food for houseguests.
  4. (New cc) New card finally arrived on Friday. Didn’t get charity spend done (Giving Tuesday?), but I have used it for life stuff over the past 2 days.

This was fun. Definitely have a few items on the list for GYSTember!

1 Like

Thanks for checking in, guys! And well done. Even the people that didn’t hit their goals saw some improvement or learning or whatever. Paying attention works!

My update: The backlog of admin tasks has not gone away, but it didn’t get worse. I got caught up on a few things. Given the intense month I’ve had, I’m calling this a win.

10 Likes

GET YR STICKER GET IT!

You deserve a sticker today! Fill out this form to get your sticker mailed anywhere in the world for free. Good job.

STICKERS WILL BE MAILED ON 12/7, plz submit your final checkin and fill in this form before then.

4 Likes

Final checking
I didn’t check on week 3; this is the final update.

Packing Lunch: I managed to pack munch once a month. I call it a success. This goal will continue in December.

Meal planning and batch cooking: I’ve been good on this most weeks. We’ve had a few meals out but it was mostly for convenience and to please the kids.

Having a budget for the black Friday shopping: It didn’t happen. The sales end tonight at midnight and I’m still hoping to order something but I have no fixed budget.

Tracking my personal spendings:
This is the cumulative amount for Nov1-30: €770.56

Family: €203.99 – support for parents
Entertainment:174.17 --Swim pool + Restaurants
Transit: €171.76 – Uber, monthly pass, train + tolls to visit sis
Travel : €165.02 – Prepaid Airbnb for girl trip in Jul 2020
Phone: €31.60 – phone bill + VoiP to call home
Personal Care: €23.80 – moisturizer
Misc: €0.22 – bank fees

Tracking our family spending: Also cumulative and for Nov1-30 it is €3337.68

Housing: €2190.32 – mortgage, utilities & DIY projects
Education: €300.36 – afterschool, childcare, canteen, PTA, etc.
Babysitter: €100 – private babysitter for BG
Groceries: €282.30 – food, household and kids’ clothes
Shopping: €199.99 – wireless vacuum cleaner
Taxes: €120.00 – property tax & housing tax
Transit: €49.89 – Uber with the kids
Entertainment: €47.89 – amusement park & restaurants
Giving: €47.5 – groceries for my sister
Internet: €8.41 – phone & cable included

2 Likes

I can’t believe it’s already December 2nd! November flew by and I am pretty happy with the way I stuck to my goals.

• In November, I put more than I even planned towards my cc debt, so I should be completely cc debt free by the end of 2019!
  • I worked a lot. Maybe more than I would have liked, but I didn’t let myself get burnt out. I hope to continue this plan through December as well.
  • Most importantly, I spent less than I earned and I still was able to celebrate the holidays with my friends while sticking to my budget.

The holidays are always a hard time for me and also a time when I over spend to make myself feel better. I’m so grateful to have had support and accountability to keep it under control.

8 Likes

I am shipping these stickers tonight so please fill this out if you want a sticker. They are very cute!

4 Likes

Thank you for the sticker - it arrived today!!

1 Like

Stickers arrived yesterday down under. :+1:

3 Likes