Folks found Budgetober really helpful, so I’m inviting anyone who wants to keep going with regular budget check-ins an offer to continue doing so on this thread for November.
No-Stress November will run from November 1 - November 30th.
The goal for no-stress november is to set your own money-related rules for the month that cultivate a feeling of no-stress! Whatever that means for you.
It will have a special forum badge and even a STICKER for people that complete the whole month, of this kitty:
You must establish your own rules about what you are trying to accomplish as a money goal this month. Maybe you’re trying to spend less on booze when the cold sets in, or you want to plan ahead for holiday gift expenses instead of having to scramble this year. Or you want to pack lunch and snacks for work most days so that you can have more money in other parts of your budget. Or maybe you want to have extra to put in savings each week. Maybe you want to track each week. Whatever your money goal, it has to be something you can report progress on each week.
You’re allowed two chances to make changes throughout the month. It’s NO STRESS NOVEMBER. That means we’re not emphasizing “right” and “wrong” - we’re encouraging just actively thinking about your money goals. This means if you go off the rails in a category, or something big comes up, you can reset. Don’t get discouraged just because you have an off week! Don’t hide. Just acknowledge it, and move on!
Each Saturday (or Sunday for the Aussies/Kiwis) you will report how you did on your challenge for the week on this thread. You can report on where you’re at, and what your biggest challenge and victories of the week were. Then, you’ll put your predictions/goals down for the week ahead.
Who This Challenge is For
- Anyone who wants a little public accountability and discussion about their money goals on a weekly basis. If you liked budgetober and want to keep it going, welcome to No-Stress November!
What do you get out of participating?
- Deep Satisfaction of working on your money goals in one of the spendiest months of the year
- A community to support you as you resist (or scoop up pre-planned) Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals
- Community support for whatever your goals are in November!
- A CUTE forum badge for participating in the weekly check-ins
- And if you do all 4 week check-ins, you get a STICKER mailed to you. It’s a cat in a bubble bath saying “treat yourself” and I have only printed these for this challenge.
If you’re in to participate (or on the fence and need encouragement), comment below with what you’re hoping to get out of No-Stress November and what your rules will be.
Resource List for Budgeting
- Oh My Dollar! episodes (most with transcripts) on Budgeting
- My personal favorite budgeting app (YNAB) which has a 34-day free trial
- Lillian’s slide deck review of different budgeting apps to try out
- Oh My Dollar blog post: " A Budget Review Helps You Set & Keep Badass Resolutions "
- One last shameless plug: A Cat’s Guide to Money (Lillian’s book which has 3 chapters on budgeting)