Bring Your Lunch to Work Club

If I’d known moral support would improve my lunch making I’d have done it sooner. DH’s lunch of mango chicken, veg and brown rice, plus an iced coffee. Ignore dirty dishes in background…

7 Likes

Forgot to take leftovers today and really didn’t want any of my desk stash, so, since I had to stop at dollar general on the way anyway for meeting cookies, I got myself a $1 c can of beef and barley soup. Didn’t notice it was not a pop-top can, which caused me to relocate the manual can opener I’d lost in the depths of a desk drawer, so double win.

4 Likes

Dirty dishes are just evidence that you’ve been making food at home!

3 Likes

Anyone else bringing their lunch lately? I’ve been doing eggs and avocado scramble since I have access to a stove, or else leftovers.

2 Likes

I’m lucky this semester in that I can usually eat lunch at home right before I leave for work, so I’m focusing on maintaining my desk stash for the days it isn’t true. I had tuna and crackers one day last week (and I will replace those crackers with whole grain as soon as I use them up - a healthy desk stash is the new challenge).

1 Like

I feel like I have been pretty consistent, even with Fridays which historically have been neither here nor there. It is helped by there being very little option for good, inexpensive & fast places near the office. There are so many other office workers, the lines for anything getting close to meeting the first two criteria are unable to meet the third.

I had dinner (out) with a former coworker on Wednesday and brought the leftovers for lunch on Thursday. She asked if I was still bringing my lunch to work all the time. Which is funny, because we last worked together in 2011, and I don’t feel like I was all that consistent at bringing lunches back then - especially since we had an office cafeteria and I could get a good grilled cheese made just for me for $2, and a decent egg salad sandwich for 2.50 (plus commuting 2h each way limited my energy at home for food prep).

1 Like

It’s my first day at a new job! I brought a salad and some pita chips for lunch, because I don’t know whether there’s a break room or fridge or anything.

10 Likes

I sent DH with a little tub of mince to put in his veggie wrap at lunchtime so it wouldn’t go soggy.

3 Likes

I turned the last of the sweet potato curry soup into a peanut sauce for my rice, protein, and roasted broccoli bowl.

3 Likes

I am out of rice and protein and broccoli for my lunch bowls this week.

But! I was nominated by the leadership level one step above me to go to the special lunar new year banquet lunch tomorrow, (1 of 8 attending from our team of 150, and the only one at my level) so it’s fine that I’m not bringing lunch to work.

5 Likes

This week lunch is chicken fat rice, palak paneer (hopefully will calm down in heat overnight)

Rather more effort than the standard roasted broccoli on rice with protein & dressing, but I think I need more time off from the brassica family.

2 Likes

This is my second week of work at a new job, and the first week I did not really plan lunches because I just moved, and I had no idea where my cooking stuff was. So lots of tuna salad+rice cakes meals were consumed. Also two company lunches+ 1 day of leftovers, so 3 free lunches.

This week the plan is:
Breakfasts (I eat at work)- southern braised bacon greens (kale, collards, spinach)
Lunches- Thai green curry chicken

3 Likes

I’ve gotten so used to lunch at work I find I’m literally at a loss about what to eat for lunch at home. I’m better prepared at work, but I guess I don’t feel like it’s worth the money to stock convenient lunch things at home, but I’ve never really stocked longer-prep things for home lunches. If I do a lot of work, it ought to be for supper, so if there aren’t any leftovers, there’s just… nothing for lunch?

Sometimes I overcome this with quick tuna salad melts using canned tuna, but if I’m tired of tuna, there’s no other plan.

3 Likes

I work from home most days. Some stand bys when I don’t have leftovers, in case, brainstorming helps:

Roast veggies of all types
Cheese n bread/cracker plate w some fruit/raw veg
Quesadillas
10 minute soup (usually miso ginger broth, some good ramen noodles, mushroom, and if I’m really fancy I make a soft boiled egg to plonk in)
Salads in summer
Pasta with peas
Yam coins fried in coconut oil with lime juice

The cracker plates are definitely for “oh fuck this” days.

3 Likes

I just bought some cheese and crackers yesterday! Great minds think alike, clearly.

1 Like

They are such good stand bys.

1 Like

I have made rice for the week, and I’m attempting charred green beans because for some reason I bought frozen green beans on sale even though I hate them.

They don’t seem bad atm, but we’ll see how reheating works at upcoming lunches.

• lemon tahini dressing
  • peanut gochujang dressing

I’ve been at a new job for about three weeks now. Before I was working from home, but now I’m in an office with a vending machine and several restaurants nearby.

I thought I would be tempted, but the vending machine sometimes eats people’s money and also sometimes gives you the wrong item, so I’ve never been tempted to take the gamble.

My boss treated me and some coworkers to lunch my first day. Other than that, I’ve brought lunch every day. I thought I would be tempted by a sushi place nearby, but I prefer keeping my lunch break shorter so I can go home sooner.

7 Likes

I’m currently on a very very strict elimination diet for allergy stuff, so I’m packing all my meals. Yesterday was the fourth long day in a row and I was tired so I just took cooked potatoes for lunch and dinner. Of course, the one coworker that somehow got the impression last week I am only allowed to eat potatoes is the one that saw me for both meals in the breakroom :laughing:

After a week of her asking “how’s your potato diet?” and me saying “it’s not just potatoes!” :joy:

4 Likes

last week’s charred freezer green beens were surprisingly good reheated - https://lynnecurry.com/2012/02/best-frozen-green-beans/

so good that I asked the shadowy one to get me another bag, and then they only bought one bag even though it was 0.50 cheaper per bag if 2 were purchased…

still need to decide on dressings

2 Likes