Bookclub - January 2021 - Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst

Let’s start with just a category so I know what to brainstorm

• Fiction
  • Non-fiction narrative
  • Self-help

0 voters

New Poll! Which fluffy romance book?

• Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst (Bi/lesbian princesses)
  • The Gravity of Us by Adam Silvera (Attractive boys, love and all your problems solved and astronauts)
  • The Boyfriend Project by Farrah Rochon (Hot smart black woman writing an app has hot, smart half-korean half-black man love interest)
  • Take a Hint, Dani Brown by Talia Hibbert ( Hot, black woman in academia and hot and sensitive Muslim former rugby player turned campus security guard with a tragic backstory; is apparently v sexy (w/ sex scenes?) and may include tarot)

0 voters

1 Like

The book club book has been decided! We’ll be reading Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst.

4 Likes

I’m about a quarter of the way into this and enjoying it a lot so far! It felt a bit generic at first but I think that may have been because I went from another secondary-world-fantasy YA f/f romance directly to this. I’ve started alternating it with a very different kind of book and that’s helped.

On the other hand, secondary-world fantasy is my favorite thing, YA fantasy is my favorite thing, and f/f is my favorite thing, so… good way to start the year!

Spoilers

CAS :sob: :sob: :sob:

He very quickly became my favorite character and he was so great to both main characters, I knew something was going to happen, but I didn’t think he would be murdered!

1 Like

I read this on one day today, and really enjoyed it! It felt like the plot part suffered from “only protagonists are allowed to have a brain” syndrome, but I loved the romance.

@Clare-Dragonfly, what was the other f/f fantasy you were reading? You know, for comparison purposes :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

The Mermaid, the Witch, and the Sea! Also very enjoyable, though quite violent and bloody.

1 Like

I finished this today and found it delightful. I’m pleased to see that there will be a sequel!

Did anyone else notice this?

Similarities between this book and the Winternight Trilogy
  • Name starts with K
  • So charming I suspected him immediately
  • Always there when things happen
  • Tries to get in the way of the main romance and convince a main character to marry him
  • Has an association with horses but doesn’t appear with his super-special, unusual-looking golden horse until toward the end of the book
  • Can tell the main character is magical but keeps the knowledge secret
  • Actually super duper evil!

Kasyan/Kaschei and Kriantz are the same person.

1 Like