Book club - September 2020 - Howl's Moving Castle

I love the movie (it’s one of my all time favorite movies!) but the book is a fair bit different, be forewarned!

(I identify with both Sophie and Howl in the movie very strongly, and it makes me cry every time I watch it.)

6 Likes

I have watched the movie three times in an attempt to understand what happens in the second half. It follows the book closely for the first half and then changes so much that I’m still dizzy by the time it ends.

3 Likes

I’ve got a copy on hold at the library. I should have it by mid-month.

2 Likes

The movie and book are very very different from each other but also both perfect. PERFECT.

5 Likes

So I go from not participating in 2 months to spending the afternoon reading the entire book.

It’s cute? Not really my type of book. Glad I read it for something different then my general picks. Maybe if I watch the movie you have alluded to above I may like it better?

2 Likes

The movie is quite different from the book. An argument can be made that the two aren’t even quite the same story.

6 Likes

I see it is on Netflix so I will check it out!

2 Likes

I can’t wait to see what you think!

1 Like

Ooh, I haven’t read this in years. May not get the audiobook in through the library till near the end of the month, but I love the book and movie and am excited to revisit!

2 Likes

I feel the opposite. I love the book so much that I was very mad at the movie. I still hate the way they drew Calcifer.

3 Likes

Audiobook came through way sooner than expected! A little over an hour in, and very glad to be rereading this.

2 Likes

I have finished. It was absolutely wonderful to read again.

3 Likes

Just got my audiobook from library! Will be listening to it soon.

2 Likes

Some gifs of Calcifer just came up on my tumblr dash and I remembered your post. He is all wrong! I know everyone is cute in Miyazaki movies but he could at least have been properly blue.

4 Likes

:joy: I was going to mention, I think OG Califer might be too scary for kids. But yeah, blue would have been good!

2 Likes

I finished the audiobook a couple days ago and yesterday rewatched the movie. This time around I definitely prefer the book; I still really really like the movie, but for maximum enjoyment I really shouldn’t experience them so close together.

One thing that really struck me this reread was the dynamics of Sophie’s family, which were, I thought, an interesting degree of imperfect but not toxic in a way they might have been in another book.

7 Likes

That’s such an interesting point! Everyone wants the best for each other, they’re just not getting the communication right.

4 Likes

Yes, that’s a great point! I think Martha and Lettie are definitely a bit wrong about Fanny manipulating everyone for her own benefit, but they’re also a bit right. Then again, if they would have just told her what they really wanted, instead of assuming she doesn’t care (which is a fair assumption, since she didn’t ask), maybe things would have gone more smoothly for them.

5 Likes

Which is totally a dynamic I’ve seen happen in real families!

3 Likes

Ahh I picked it up last night and promptly read half of it, before deciding that maybe I shouldn’t read it all in one go and should give myself time to luxuriate with it.

I’m where “Mrs Pendragon” visits the King. So much still has to happen!!

7 Likes