Book Club -- November 2020 -- Wizard of Earthsea

Er, apologies for late poll here. I’ll close it on US Election Night so we’ll have one good thing guaranteed to come out of that day, which will be a good book to read.

• The Wizard of Earthsea, Ursula K LeGuin
  • The Enola Holmes Series: The Case of the Missing Marquess, Nancy Springer
  • Alif the Unseen, G. Willow Wilson
  • The Glasstown Game, Catherynne Valente

0 voters

2 Likes

Hopping back in, I missed a couple months but have a feeling I will have some extra time through November to start reading again!

1 Like

I feel like I just reread A Wizard of Earthsea (though now that I think about it I’m pretty sure it’s been a few years) but one of my other book clubs is reading Lavinia in November, so that would be a delightfully Le Guin-heavy November!

1 Like

Ok what are we reading? Did we start? Did I miss something?

1 Like

We’ve got a tie between Enola Holmes and Wizard of Earthsea and, given likely book availability at everyone’s libraries and my inability to do things that aren’t work this month, let’s go for Wizard of Earthsea!

3 Likes

So I started reading this last night before bed. I have some work to do to get read in the next 3 days!

2 Likes

Luckily it’s a quick read!

I wonder sometimes how much of Harry Potter was inspired by Earthsea - in so many ways it’s kind of the original wizard school book.

1 Like

I just finally started my reread. Ahhhh it is so good. Le Guin’s writing is just… powerful. I feel the power of the various magical characters so well.

2 Likes

Last night I had a dream that involved being pulled by irresistible currents.

Then this morning I reached the part where Ged is pulled by irresistible currents. It very strongly evoked my dream. :cold_sweat:

1 Like