April Fool's Gold Panning for Budgets

This was probably the weather events actually, rather than covid.

2 Likes

I’m in for this challenge, and will also spend this time figuring out what our fixed expenses are.

2 Likes

I would like to shoot for $500 total for groceries and cat supplies.
Given that it’s April 5 and we are already at $196.11 (having already received the monthly cat supply order, and having already done one grocery order that is arriving today), I am not sure how do-able that is, but I am going to try!

1 Like

Took a first whack at checking my new totals for recurring expenses. I don’t have all the numbers yet (need weird periodic ones like insurance now with the new car), but at least I have a list of what we need!

My regular monthly expenses are the same as I remember except I’ve noticed the past few months my electric shot up. I assumed it was no longer being averaged at my old use rate. Turns out that is correct but I had a big buffer of overpay so it’s just recently I’m seeing the effect of charging my car in subzero temps.

My main goal this month is to have very little or zero frivolous spending. Garden stuff not included as I have a newly sunny yard this year and need to figure out something besides patchy dirt.

6 Likes

We are sticking to our planned expenses really nicely this month. I will be putting together our pre/during/post renovation and total capital outlay budgets this week. I did a quick inflow/outflow and asset balance sheet last week.

4 Likes

I kept the takeout to only $34 this week so not too bad for four people. Spent a little more on groceries though. Some meat was on sale so I said ‘fuck it’ and grabbed some extra.

2 Likes

I realized my hang up on moving forward with totaling our recurring expenses- the final numbers require making SirB do some leg work to get, and I feel bad about that since he’s been so busy lately. :confused: so… at least that’s kinda progress, because I can identify that’s not rational and put it in a form where it’s not time sensitive he reply (aka email instead of text or in person).

3 Likes

So far I did a lot of numbers and haven’t mathed. budget will hopefully be complete by end of month. Also had some values and money conversations with husboo

5 Likes

Currently at $290.01 for combined food and cat expenses, out of a budgeted $500.
Our Imperfect Foods weekly order seems to be running at around $90/week if I’m careful. So, we might make it.

Unfortunately, “careful” = “I do not buy any snacks or treats or place any additional orders elsewhere if they’re out of things we want or need.” Hmph.

2 Likes

My ynab is mostly up to date but I have done nothing otherwise, thanks to disruptions beyond my control. There’s a few more days in April…

4 Likes

I DID make a list and added things. Husband and I were both like “wow how do our numbers work we spend so much” and yet somehow they do work :joy: so. :woman_shrugging: I dunno.

4 Likes

I think we are done buying grocery and cat supplies for the month - so, how did we do?

Goal: $500

Groceries: $336.58
Cats: $120.48
Total: $457.06

I did it - but this was via being very very careful, not buying any treats for myself food-wise, literally only basics, and also not needing to buy either Feliway or Revolution (both of which are $$ but necessary) this month.

I’m so looking forward to shopping Aldi in person again as soon as I’m fully vaxxed which is in 1 week! Our budget is going to go WAY down, also, normal non-bougie brands! And choice!

4 Likes

Update: I’m an idiot. Our basic monthly take home is like $2k more than I thought??? At least we’re living well within our means, but my degree of messing up numbers is frankly concerning :joy::woman_facepalming:

6 Likes