April Book Club -- Packing for Mars by Mary Roach

I’m currently on chapter 4 and I love the idea of someone starting an anti gravity research centre :joy: his (Roger Babson ) Wikipedia page is sadly light on details but it also mentions that he commissioned the carving of a series of giant boulders that say things like “get a job” and “help your mother”

2 Likes

What an odd duck :joy:

1 Like

I’m not that far in (Cadaver in the Space Capsule) but am super enjoying this so far. Roach is sometimes a little overly-arch for my tastes, but this is such a cool subject and she absolutely can make me giggle out loud.

2 Likes

I’m not terribly far, either. I’ve been reading at night before bed but I’m so tired lately that I can’t stay awake for long! It is funny and interesting so far, though. I have “Stiff” on my list for someday now.

2 Likes

The cadaver chapter has been my favorite so far. It feels warm and familiar after having read Stiff :joy:

1 Like

Haha, same here! It’s like “oh, I see how her books keep running into each other.” (Same for Gulp here.)

1 Like

I just got to the part about Jon Clark. Was not expecting those feels when I say down to read this morning (and can’t imagine how Roach felt when she realized).

Also I think my ideal career is “be Mary Roach.”

I liked her suggestion that due to greater bone mass, an all-black mission to Mars might be a good idea. The segue from “black human crew” to “black bear crew, here’s some relevant stuff about hibernation” is :expressionless:

The chapter on sex is hilarious so far.

1 Like

Yeah, there are moments where I’m really aware of the fact that this book was written a decade ago. (Not that this was great a decade ago either, but… there’s been changes in the zeitgeist since then, you know?)

ETA: Also one of my favorite things is when she debunks Space Gossip. The part about the dolphins in the sex chapter is just a beautiful linchpin. :Italian chef fingertip kiss:

1 Like

Reading the space food section during quarantine is just like… I just want to burrow into the covers holding a loaf of bread. Those poor astronauts. Cube food and purees in a tube.

1 Like

That’s how I’ve been feeling. I’m making my way through - slowly - and a lot of this feels very dated. Maybe the book will get there, but having the book take place before the Curiosity Rover makes it feel like an entire space generation ago.

I also have been struggling through the “haha, animal abuse” sections.

1 Like

This is my first exposure to this author and for what I have read I have enjoyed it. Currently in the smelly section! I like seeing behind the curtain, because much of the book is not stuff I would have thought about in n the process and how it was done. While I can blow through non-fiction books very fast, I find I can only do this book in small sittings because there is more to think about.

3 Likes

OK, I don’t always appreciate Mary Roach’s transitions, but the “anal” one was perfection :joy:

2 Likes

My mom has some, uh, regularity issues. I was consoling her this morning by telling her that she was in the company of Buzz Aldrin and Chris Hadfield. I don’t know if it worked.

1 Like

I am utterly delighted by the concept of the astronauts eating the parts of the spacecraft that would normally be left behind. Sugar windows! Now I need Hansel and Gretel in space.

1 Like

I’m being very slow reading this book but I’m finding it quite interesting, so thanks for picking it!

2 Likes

I’m on pause because my digital book had to be returned again so I’m waiting for my hold for the third time…

1 Like

Same. I’m also just being slow reading it compared to my usual reading speed.

2 Likes

I think that’s interesting that several of us are much slower at reading this book than normal. I’m just over halfway.

2 Likes

Apparently I have a few more hours on my loan,so I’ll see how far I can get. I’m already a bit behind.