April Book Club -- Packing for Mars by Mary Roach

Oh…

1 Like

I also listened to Stiff as an audiobook – super uncomfortable sometimes in the middle of a drive, haha!

Excited for this. I don’t think I can get a library ecopy but this is what supporting my local shop is for. :3

2 Likes

My library has none of the books and my local bookstore doesn’t either :frowning:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m out next month I think. I don’t really want to order it online from a big place. I’ll see if I can find it in the next week but looking unlikely

4 Likes

Aw, that sucks, I’m sorry. :frowning: Maybe next time I host I’ll look for four options out of copyright and available for free.

1 Like

It’s ok, Candygirl hooked me up with an online copy, I’ve just got to figure out what I need to download to read it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

OH RIGHT IT’S MARCH!

WHICH MEANS IT’S TIME TO START READING!
Between now and next Tuesday, we’ll be aiming to read chapters 1-4. I’m going to attempt to make up some discussion questions.

3 Likes

AH YES COOL THANK YOU FOR THIS REMINDER

I have so many books to read.

:rolls up sleeves:

2 Likes

In “Countdown” (the introduction I guess?) I liked this quote “Space exploration is in some ways an exploration of what it means to be human. How much normalcy can people forgo? For how long and what does it do to them?” It felt very appropriate right now.

Just mentioning it since I know I skip the introductions sometimes.

4 Likes

I love this.

1 Like

I ordered a copy on ebay for $3.99 (free shipping) I just checked the tracking. It’s scheduled to be delivered 2 days ago :laughing: Hopfully it will arrive in teh next couple days (I guess this gives me time to finish Little Women!!!)

4 Likes

I’m going to dig through my boxes and hopefully find my copy this weekend! Otherwise I may just buy a digital copy.

2 Likes

umm… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

APRIL

TIME IS AN ILLUSION

5 Likes

TOTALLY AGREE

1 Like

I guess I should get started on this book! I would very much like to not be falling behind each month so I can take part in the discussion as it’s happening. I’m still working through Little Women! but as I’ve already read that a couple times I don’t feel so bad switching to this shiny new book! :slight_smile:

OK off to read 90+ pages :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Yeah I haven’t gotten past the intro. Not because it’s boring but I just keep forgetting I’m supposed to be reading.

I’m just glad we picked a relatively short book.

3 Likes

The chapter titles are great!

This is a lot more fun than I expected it to be! I don’t know why I didn’t expect it to be fun. But I’m enjoying it a lot, despite the fact that some bits of her footnotes always seem to be weirdly tone-deaf (what’s with the somewhat homophobic comment about Yuri Gagarin?).

2 Likes

Which one was that?

And should we share quotes/excerpts?

3 Likes