2021 Giving Challenge

Catching up after I got back home, between food and a few more house-project type things (hopefully that buying is done now and I can actually finish the projects) I’m at $542 for June.

2 Likes

Just noticed that I forgot to update for last month…with vacation had $1245 to match in July (eesh), and August was at a $556 mostly thanks to cat stuff, although given the various fires/floods/refugee crises/etc. I’m doing both of them through work for the matching plans.

3 Likes

Here’s what my money tracker tells me I’ve spent through November:

I have my $75x2 auto donation still to go at the end of December, so if I keep my grocery spending about average I shouldn’t have to top up too much.

EXCEPT, my intention was to make this all food spending, so I have to add in restaurant spending, which through November is

And I’ve already spent $135 on a fancy tea with friends this month, am planning two meals out this weekend, and will spend about $150 on Christmas Eve pizza (for 18 people). So it looks like I’ll need about a $600 top-up (2x$300) to meet my goal. I will get this done before the end of the year.

ETA: can’t math

ETA: That will put me at $2500 for the year, which I am comfortable with (it’s $500 more than I gave to these orgs last year). I think I will change my auto-donation to $100 each per month for 2022.

9 Likes

This is a really great idea and you’ve inspired me to try it in 2022. Thanks!

2 Likes

Realized that I never closed this out. Sept and Oct were back to fairly normal spending for me ($567 and $616 respectively), Nov was up some because of flights even if they were cheap ones ($860)…and Dec. I might have gone a little overboard with gifts for nephling and a couple other groups I support and ended up at $-411 (oops, but whatever, other spending was low in December in general because when I visit parent there is offense taken if I offer to pay for anything :slight_smile: ).

Thanks to everyone who joined in here–the group I was doing this with fell off in Sept/Oct with two people leaving the company for another job and retirement (this was originally with some people I work with) and while I’ll probably keep it up next year, I probably won’t track it here, but it was nice to see other people’s plans too.

3 Likes

Oh! I’ll check in too with my goals. Charity spending was far more than groceries, by about $2k. Total food spending was higher, because Wizard and I were profligate with restaurants, but I’m still happy with the positive increase. Of my actual spending (not including savings), charity was over ten percent, and it was my third highest spending category after rent and student loans.

6 Likes

My total:

Groceries: $1981
Dining: $539
Total food: $2520

Food charity: $2500
close enough! Plus one of my other orgs does food assistance just not as their only thing. So I feel I accomplished my goal.

Like diapasoun, overall charity was one of my highest spending categories last year, second only to housing. That’s the highest it’s ever been, and much of that is because of this challenge. So thanks for initiating it, @kenner !

5 Likes